zrepl - ZFS replication¶
zrepl is a one-stop, integrated solution for ZFS replication.
Job: prod_to_backups Type: push Replication: Attempt #1 Status: fan-out-filesystems Progress: [=========================\----] 246.7 MiB / 264.7 MiB @ 11.5 MiB/s zroot STEPPING (step 1/2, 624 B/1.2 KiB) next: @a => @b zroot/ROOT DONE (step 2/2, 1.2 KiB/1.2 KiB) * zroot/ROOT/default STEPPING (step 1/2, 123.4 MiB/129.3 MiB) next: @a => @b zroot/tmp STEPPING (step 1/2, 29.9 KiB/44.2 KiB) next: @a => @b zroot/usr STEPPING (step 1/2, 624 B/1.2 KiB) next: @a => @b * zroot/usr/home STEPPING (step 1/2, 123.3 MiB/135.3 MiB) next: @a => @b zroot/var STEPPING (step 1/2, 624 B/1.2 KiB) next: @a => @b zroot/var/audit DONE (step 2/2, 1.2 KiB/1.2 KiB) zroot/var/crash DONE (step 2/2, 1.2 KiB/1.2 KiB) zroot/var/log STEPPING (step 1/2, 22.0 KiB/29.2 KiB) next: @a => @b zroot/var/mail STEPPING (step 1/2, 624 B/1.2 KiB) next: @a => @b Pruning Sender: ... Pruning Receiver:
The 10 minute quick-start guides give you a first impression.
- Filesystem replication
- [x] Pull & Push mode
- [x] Multiple transport modes: TCP, TCP + TLS client auth, SSH
- Advanced replication features
- [x] Automatic retries for temporary network errors
- [x] Automatic resumable send & receive
- [x] Automatic ZFS holds during send & receive
- [x] Automatic bookmark & hold management for guaranteed incremental send & recv
- [x] Encrypted raw send & receive to untrusted receivers (OpenZFS native encryption)
- [x] Properties send & receive
- [x] Compressed send & receive
- [x] Large blocks send & receive
- [x] Embedded data send & receive
- [x] Resume state send & receive
- [x] Bandwidth limiting
- Automatic snapshot management
- [x] Periodic filesystem snapshots
- [x] Support for pre- and post-snapshot hooks with builtins for MySQL & Postgres
- [x] Flexible pruning rule system
- [x] Age-based fading (grandfathering scheme)
- [x] Bookmarks to avoid divergence between sender and receiver
- Sophisticated Monitoring & Logging
- [x] Live progress reporting via zrepl status subcommand
- [x] Comprehensive, structured logging
- stdout, syslog and TCP (+TLS client auth) outlets
- [x] Prometheus monitoring endpoint
- Maintainable implementation in Go
- [x] Cross platform
- [x] Dynamic feature checking
- [x] Type safe & testable code
zrepl as well as this documentation is still under active development. There is no stability guarantee on the RPC protocol or configuration format, but we do our best to document breaking changes in the Changelog.
We are happy about any help we can get!
- Financial Support
- Explore the codebase
- These docs live in the
- These docs live in the
- Document any non-obvious / confusing / plain broken behavior you encounter when setting up zrepl for the first time
- Check the Issues and Projects sections for things to do. The good first issues and docs are suitable starting points.
The GitHub repository is where all development happens. Make sure to read the Developer Documentation section and open new issues or pull requests there.
Table of Contents¶
- Quick Start by Use Case
- Talks & Presentations
- GitHub Repository & Issue Tracker
- Chat: Matrix